Q: What kinds of records are exempt from disclosure?

A: Common types of records exempt from disclosure include those that pertain to an ongoing investigation, are under attorney/ client privilege, are under copyright, are drafts, donor names and/or identifiers, driver’s license numbers, earnings statement data, personal information for employees, students, clients, victims, and witnesses, whistleblower information, evaluative job performance comments and/or ratings, exams and test questions, financial account numbers, health care information, human subject names and identifiers in research, job applicant information, juvenile information, lists of individuals for commercial purposes, not identifiable records, social security numbers, usernames and passwords, valuable research data, trade secrets, proprietary data, and WSU ID numbers.  This list is not exhaustive.  For additional information about redactions and the Public Records Act visit the Public Records Act legislative page.


Q: Who can submit a Public Records Request?

A: Anyone can submit a Public Records Request.


Q: How do I request a public document?

A: You can use this web portal to submit a public request to Washington State University (WSU). Select “Make Request” from the main page and fill out the form to create an account. The form will include an area for you to describe which records you would like to request. The WSU Public Records department will communicate with you and provide the records to you through your account on Next Request.


Q: What if I no longer need the requested document?

A: If you no longer need your requested records and would like to close the request, simply log into your next request account and send the WSU public records department a message stating you would like to close the request.


Q: Do I have to give a reason for my request?

A: No, you are not obligated to state why you are requesting the records.


Q: When will I receive a response to my Public Records Request?

A: Once your request has been submitted the Public Records department will contact you through Next Request with an estimated response date. However more time may be required to fulfill the request. You can check the current estimated response date by logging into Next Request and selecting your request.


Q: How do I access my request once I have submitted it?

A: Once your request is submitted Next Request will send a message to the email you provided indicating that your request has been received. To access your request you can follow the link provided in the email and login to your request or login through the Next Request main page at wsu.nextrequest.com and select your request from the list.


Q: What fees are involved in making a Public Records Request?

A: The WSU Public Records department will only charge if the requested records originated as a paper copy and the requester requests to receive the response in digital form. In this case the charges are 15 cents per page, and the WSU Public Records department can request that 10% of the total cost be paid up front as a deposit.


Q: Am I required to use Next Request to submit a Public Records Request?

A: No, Next Request is provided as a user-friendly portal for both the requester and the WSU Public Records department; however, a Public Records Request can also be submitted in person at or mailed to the WSU Public Records Office (Info Tech Bldg 3011, 3013 and 3015, Mail Code 1225, Pullman, WA 99164-1225), over the phone by calling the Public Records Office (509-335-3928), or by emailing the Public Records Office (wsu.pubrecords@wsu.edu).


Q: Who should I contact if I have any questions?

A: Should you have questions about your request or about Next Request, please call the WSU Public Records department at 509-335-3928 or contact our office via email at wsu.pubrecords@wsu.edu